Meme time…

I was tagged by Mimi over at Mimi writes… to take part in this meme, she tagged a whole lot of people and I noticed I was included over at Kim’s. Mimi was originally tagged by Travis, who created this – just as well, as a Mimi meme is too much of a mouthful :-)

Here are the instructions for Trav’s Staying Out Of The Dungeon Trivia Meme:
He said: A meme needs ‘structions.OK…here’s your ‘structions:
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to:
1. Choose a category from one of these: Television, Stage & Screen, Nightly News, Publishing, Lives & Times, Music
2. Find 8 bits of trivia about your selected category
3. Be sure to let me know when…ok, if…you decide to play along so I can see what you come up with.
4. You may tag, or simply offer the meme for borrowing or stealing as you like.

So here we go. My chosen topic is Stage and Screen.

1 Tom Selleck was the original choice to play Indiana Jones. He turned the part down as he was too busy with ‘Magnum PI’ and it went to the lovely Harrison Ford.

2 Daniel Craig is the first actor to play James Bond, who is younger than the series itself.

3 Johnny Depp only had 169 words to learn in ‘Edward Scissorhands’.

4 Daniel Day Lewis and Russell Crowe were considered for the part of Aragorn in the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy. Even though he had never read any of the books, Viggo Mortensen took the part, after being persuaded by his son who loved them.

5 ‘The Last Samurai’ was not only Ken Watanabe’s first American Film, it was also the first time he had spoken English in a film. Tom Cruise took no ‘up front’ salary for making this film and trained for two years before film making began, learning sword fighting and taking Japanese language lessons.

6 Bette Davis was the original choice for the lead role in ‘Mary Poppins’. Danny Kaye and Fred Astaire were considered for the role of Bert, which was played by Dick van Dyke (and his atrocious Cockney accent….)

6 In the Coen Brothers film, ‘Intolerable Cruelty’, George Clooney plays a talkative character who is vain about his teeth. In his previous Coen Brothers film, ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou?’, he plays a talkative character who is vain about his hair.

7 Only days before the role of Batman was cast in ‘Batman Begins’, eight actors were asked to audition for the part. The actors were Christian Bale, Joshua Jackson, Eion Bailey, Hugh Dancy, Billy Crudup, Cillian Murphy, Henry Cavill and Jake Gyllenhaal. While Bale won the part, Christopher Nolan liked Cillian Murphy’s audition so much, he cast him as Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow.

8 Due to his part in ‘The Machinist’, Christian Bale was vastly underweight (about 120 pounds on his 6 foot+ frame) when he was under consideration for the part of Batman in ‘Batman Begins’. After being cast, he was told to become as “big as you could be” by Christopher Nolan, the director. Bale underwent a dietary and exercise regimen and ending up weighing about 220 pounds (about 40 pounds above his normal weight). It was decided that Bale had became too large (friends of his on the film’s crew dubbed him “Fatman”) and he quickly shed about 20 pounds to have leaner, more muscular frame.

So there you have it, 8 perfectly random facts (largely culled from the Internet Movie Database) and a wonderful excuse to have a look at some of my favourite movie actors. Yum!

I’m not going to tag anyone as it’s quite task compiling this list but if you’d like to have a go, please feel free!

While I’m at it catching up on tags and things, Dunn over at Simply Dunn, passed on this lovely award, which she received from Crissy, called the ‘Arte Y Pico’ award. Thank you so much, Dunn!

Arte Y Pico Award rules :

1. You have to pick 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award through creativity, design, interesting material, and also contributes to the blogger community, no matter of language.

2. Each award should have the name of the author with a link to their blog.

3. Award winners have to post the award with the name and link to the blog of the person who gave them the award.

4. Please include a link to the “Arte Y Pico” blog so that everyone will know where the award came from.

I would like to pass this on to

Astrid

Rhonda

Teresa

Pete

Paul

I’ve tried to find out what ‘Arte y Pico’ means but the nearest I can get from my translator widget is ‘art and tip’ (which makes no sense) I think it means like a tip of a mountain (the peak) so maybe it means ‘the peak of art’. I’d be glad for a good translation….

The weather here has been glorious, we had a wonderful weekend and I went to my first barbecue of the year on Sunday. It was a gorgeous afternoon and we played croquet which was great fun. Not quite like this game though.

I played tennis yesterday and today and have even been doing some gardening (not my forte, I must confess) but it is so wonderful to be outside in the warm sunshine. Needless to say, it is going to get cooler after today so I have been making the most of it – hence the lack of both bookbinding and blogging. I’m sure normal service will be resumed very soon.

17 responses to “Meme time…

1. Teresa June 10, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Diane, I am SO honored to be chosen! Thank you!! I’ll put the award on my blog shelf as soon as I am done doing Spanish lessons with the boys. :)

I just love the Cathy Thorne cartoon! It describes me to a T. I wish it didn’t though. Haha!

And thank you, too, for the great photos of those very, very handsome men. I may short out my keyboard by the amount of drool they elicited from me. Uh, guess you didn’t need to know that.

We still need to get out to play some tennis…I miss playing tennis. Too many fun things to do!

2. strugglingwriter June 10, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Thank you so much for the award. I feel honored. I’ll comment further on this post later :)

3. totaltransformation June 10, 2008 at 9:52 pm

Bale is the best Batman thus far in the movies. However, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Adam West.

4. Diane June 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm

My pleasure, Teresa, you are so creative and artistic, I think this award was made with you in mind!
    The men are pretty droolish aren’t they? I hear George has just split up with his latest flame – Hope for me yet! :-)

Paul, you are most welcome. Your writing is always a great pleasure to read – you’re dedication and hard work are a credit to the art of storytelling.
    :-)

TT – I agree, although I do wish my hero George Clooney had made a better Batman. It was the nipples on the Bat suit that ruined it for me….. :-)

5. Mimi Lenox June 11, 2008 at 6:19 am

Thanks for doing the meme! And the photos are very….very….nice.
    Ahem.

Just sayin!

6. Dunn June 11, 2008 at 7:02 am

Thank you for passing on the meme. You deserved it..

7. Daddy Papersurfer June 11, 2008 at 8:06 am

I am sooooo glad that Russell Crowe didn’t play Aragorn – far too fleshy……….. time for a nap now.

8. laketrees June 11, 2008 at 11:37 am

how did I know that you would be putting up this delicious line up Diane..
    I really don’t know which one to pick…though I could add a few more…
    eg…Al Pacino Sean Penn Kurt Russell Leonardo Di caprio etc etc etc
    off to watch the footie….
    which can feel like procrastination :)

9. Diane June 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Mimi – my pleasure it was fun and a good excuse to post some more hunky men pics :-) (Not that I usually need a reason !)

Dunn – thank you for the award. I’m thrilled you thought of me :-)

DP – not a Russell Crowe fan I must admit. Viggo however is another story…..have a nice snooze :-)

Kim – I know it was hard limiting myself to only 8….I’m watching the Stella Artois tennis at the mo’…..Raphael Nadal….perhaps I should post 8 hunky tennis players? Or footie playes? Now there’s a thought :-)

10. Teresa June 11, 2008 at 7:07 pm

You are too, too sweet, Diane! I am crossing all my fingers for you with George! 8)

I, too, wished George had made a better Batman, but I agree with TT that Bale has been the best Batman so far. Adam West just makes me laugh – I guess he’s supposed to, but given that I have a huge Batman crush, I have to say that he’s not supposed to be making you laugh. ;>

There’s another reason for me to adore you: you don’t like Russell Crowe either!!

11. Pingback: Arte Y Pico Award « The Struggling Writer

12. pete June 16, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Aww shucks, thanks Diane! I’m not sure how I missed this – oh wait, yes I do, I was on painkillers. They end to make everything just kind of blend into one big blur. Thankfully, that’s over. :)

13. Diane June 16, 2008 at 8:38 pm

My pleasure, Pete, Hope the painkillers did the job and you are on the mend :-)

14. tulibri June 17, 2008 at 10:09 am

Diane, thank you so much for another award! What did I miss when I was off the internet :) I only wish (not for the first time) my Spanish was better!

15. Diane June 17, 2008 at 10:47 am

I know! I’m still waiting for a perfect translation. It’s my pleasure to pass it on to you – you are such an inspiration to me!

16. Eseya June 17, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Hola

Felicitaciones por tu premio, tu blog es precioso!
    Le he explicado a tu amigo TULIBRI el significado de la frase ARTE Y PICO. Significa “mucho arte”
    Es una expresion uruguaya para decir que hay mucho y muy bueno de algo. Espero me entiendas.

Besos desde Uruguay!

*******************************************************************************

Hello

Congratulations on your award, your blog is beautiful!
    I have explained to your friend TULIBRI the meaning of the phrase Arte y pico: It means “much art”.
    It is an expression Uruguayan to say that there is a lot and something very good. I hope I understand.

Kisses from Uruguay!

17. Diane June 17, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Thank you so much for getting in touch – we were all wondering what it meant! If it is Uruguayan, that explains why my translation widget couldn’t translate it properly…

Kisses back from the UK :-)