Musical friends

daisies.jpgdaisies_closed.jpgdaisies_open.jpg

Back to the Chiyogami paper for this one although the inside is one of Paper Source’s Luxe designs, they do go together very nicely. I need to stock up on these Luxe prints as the striped and spotted papers in this range go so beautifully with the more highly patterned Japanese papers and I like mixing them together. I just wish that Paper Source would open an outlet in the UK and save me all the shipping costs. Maybe they would let me open a franchise over here!! Hello… Paper Source – anybody listening?

The makeover of a bedroom into my workspace has stalled, mainly because I have reached that stage where I have to start getting rid of stuff. It is SO time consuming disposing of STUFF that is too good to just bin but not needed any more. I talk of CD’s – all on my iPod now, books – mainly all the text books I bought when I did my teacher training, all my university notes, old TV’s, a printer which is broken and not fixable, some furniture and so it goes on. I think of just putting it all in the already overcrowded garage but then worry that it is damp in there and they will be ruined – plus I would need to carry it all down two flights of stairs. I think about it and think, oh just leave it and make another book….

Changing tack, one of my friends in Los Angeles, Julia, has just released her latest album. It’s called ‘China Blue’ and you can listen to tracks and buy the album over at Novatunes. It’s a bit different from her usual stuff in that it is more of a jazz album but it’s still really good. It includes a cover of the Michael McDonald classic ‘I Keep Forgetting’ and the great man himself duets with her. This is the CD cover – very classy!

chinablue.jpg

Novatunes also has details of the artists’ tour dates and a bio. It’s a really good site and is trying to build up a community of people who buy from the site – you can add a profile, upload a photograph and meet people who like the same music as you do. I bought Julia’s album this morning and the whole process is very easy and unlike iTunes, you get a DP (digital package, which includes the album in several formats (mp3 and iPod ready AAC), a folder of photographs of the artist (jpg and pdf) and a video interview. You can also listen to the music before you buy. I listened to tracks from Graham Nash’s new album (ex- Hollies and the Nash in Crosby, Stills and Nash) and Jackson Brown.

I must also show you this, my ex took part in a concert at the Royal Albert Hall last year and this is video of one of the songs he and his band, GTA, sang. It’s off HIS album which I have mentioned here before ‘Songs For Sale’, available on iTunes and at his web site.

Do I get commission?
Vodpod videos no longer available. from www.10duke.tv posted with vodpod

13 responses to “Musical friends

1. strugglingwriter January 15, 2008 at 5:59 pm

I know what you mean about throwing stuff away. I just boxed up some college textbooks I had sitting on my bookshelves for no good reason (they haven’t been opened since college). This made room for books I will read. I know what you mean about the electronics. I have an old computer and television in my basement and I worry about moisture. Hopefully the de-humidifier takes care of that, but who knows?

Also, yes I think you do deserve a commission. I will check out those music links.

2. Diane January 15, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I think it’s the old electrical stuff that is the biggest problem. Once they are out of date, no-one wants them – computers, printers, TV’s – we have a giant 37″ job which is HUGE – the size of a small country – no-one will want to buy it, but it still works perfectly, we have replaced it with a flat screen one.

Hope you like the music links – I have such clever, talented friends :-)

3. creechman January 15, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Why do sultry blondes with long eyelashes always have to close their eyes in a demure manner?

4. Diane January 15, 2008 at 6:28 pm

a) to show off their eyelashes
    b) to lull men into a false sense of security

Anything else?

5. RennyBA January 15, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Never heard about Julia – thanks for sharing – sounds interesting.

Your ex had a nice band (actually not heard of them either) for sure and I do hope you get commission!

6. creechman January 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Men require supporting gestures of closed eyes to fall into false security?

We probably do, else women would not presume so.

7. Diane January 15, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Renny – her earlier albums are fantastic – my favourites are ‘Falling Forward’ and ‘Concrete Love’. She has a truly amazing voice and range.

As for Gavin, what can I say, it has been his lifelong ambition to record an album – he has been writing music as long as I can remember – over 30 years at least! I may be biased but I think it is fantastic stuff :-)

8. laketrees January 15, 2008 at 11:45 pm

hi Diane
    you must be getting such a large collection of books !!!
    you will need a gallery for them …
    the last blue one is delightful and very spring time….
    the black purple book cover….great combo…

lovely CD cover….I will have to check it out….
    I definitely think you deserve a commission in fact have you ever thought of going into sales….as I think you could probably sell ice to the eskimos :)

9. Diane January 15, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Creechman – erm…..yes….I think?

10. Diane January 15, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Kim – I need to sell my books!!!! I have a half finished web site and a half finished Etsy store I really need to knuckle down, stop making books and sell some of them :-)

I love the portrait of your son, I’m sure it will win the competition, Kim, if you can just get it finished in time (hope the shoulder improves) – although to me, it looks good as it is – how do you know when a painting is finished…?

11. laketrees January 16, 2008 at 12:37 pm

ha Diane
    the painting tells me :)
    looking forward to the opening of your Etsy Store :)

12. Dylan January 16, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Julia Fordham would never remember this but about ten years ago, I was working for a major music TV channel, and she appeared on a six hour live marathon that we did (presented by “Jono” Coleman and ex-X Factor’s Kate Thornton). Anyway, I was a huge fan of Ms Fordham (Porcelain, Swept etc etc) and even though I never used to do this in general, I wanted to let her know. So I walked up to, and the following ‘conversation’ ensued:

Brit Out Of Water: Julia, I just wanted to say that I love your music, have seen you in concert and am a big fan.

Julia Fordham: Thank you so much. But you don’t look old enough – most of my fans are twice your age.

And with a very sweet laugh, she was off!

Anyway, thanks for bringing back a funny/happy memory – I might listen to her on my iPod on the way home tonight, and check out the new album…

d

13. Diane January 17, 2008 at 11:33 am

Dylan – I am going to send your comment to Jules, she will be thrilled to read it! I’ll let you know what she says….

…it’s nice to meet a fellow fan. I have loved her music ever since her first album and was a fan long before I met her sister Claire and through her , became friends with Julia. Claire is the writer of the ‘Hollywood Nobody’ blog I told you about and she often mentions Julia, if you are interested in more news of her.

The Hollywood Nobody