Festive greetings!

g-album.jpgg-album_closed.jpgg-album_open.jpg

Because I know he won’t read my blog before Christmas Day, here is a sneak preview of the photograph album I made today as a gift for our Christmas visitor. It has really turned out well and I am using my favourite combinations of papers, combined with a beautiful aqua coloured bookcloth, so if you are thinking you have seen these papers before – well, you have!

I saw this cartoon earlier and it made me laugh so here it is for you to enjoy.

frostygetscaught.jpg

Talking of supermarkets (notice the smooth segue) I have just returned from doing the big Christmas food shop. I was there just before 9am – and all the trolleys had gone and the queues for the checkouts stretched down the length of each aisle. Everyone was surprisingly stoic about it and we were all chatting away very nicely, unfortunately we ended up queuing along the chocolate/sweets/cake aisle so it was very tempting and we probably ended up with a few too many chocolate treats – particularly as one of our quartet is diabetic and one is vegan, so only Number 2 son and I can eat them…… :-)

We are having goose this year for the first time – we usually have turkey so that should be interesting. The biggest challenge has been cramming the food in the fridge – and I have a big fridge! My tree is up finally – of course one of the two sets of lights didn’t work and I couldn’t find the spare bulbs so I had to go and buy new ones and I bought the wrong ones, so I bought more and changed them and they still don’t work, so I am about to go through them checking every each individual bulb. Every year….same thing.

Happy Christmas!

tree.jpg

33 responses to “Festive greetings!

1. strugglingwriter December 22, 2007 at 1:32 pm

“Picking his nose” he he he!

Your tree looks very lovely. I’m glad you finished the Christmas meal shopping. :)

2. Diane December 22, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Ha ha! Real schoolboy humour – love it!

Shopping was hell but it’s done – hurrah!

Lights still don’t work – curses!!

3. cotojo December 22, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Hi Diane,
    Congrats on winning the mystery prize at Kim’s :)

Shopping? hhhmmmm I have my daughter with me so I’ve been dragged around all the girly shops, and they just don’t have anything slinky in my style hahaha. As for the supermarkets…say no more, it was a nightmare!

Have a truly wonderful and Merry Christmas, with warmest wishes from my home to yours.

Take care my dear friend,
    Colin

4. Diane December 22, 2007 at 4:52 pm

hello Colin and congrats to you too! The portrait of your daughter will be amazing I’m sure

Supermarket shopping is a nightmare scene. Waitrose was insane this morning but at least it is now done!

Have a great Christmas too – very warm wishes

Diane

5. RennyBA December 22, 2007 at 9:20 pm

Good luck with a new Christmas treat – I’m sure it’ll taste great!

What a lovely Xmas tree – thanks for sharing!

God Jul :-)

6. Diane December 22, 2007 at 11:31 pm

I hope it does taste nice – fingers crossed. My son wanted to try it, so we will give it a go….

Glad you like our tree – I still need to fix the lights but maybe tomorrow… :-)

Best Christmas wishes to you.

God Jul, Renny :-)

7. laketrees December 23, 2007 at 12:51 am

oooh the photo album is lovely and I like the studs …very classic Diane….
    goose …wow ….that sounds exotic !!!
    I’ve never tasted goose ……is it similiar to turkey?
    love your carrot cartoon …..such a naughty snowman :)
    and your tree is gorgeous ….love the shape and that painting near it looks interesting…..very nice composition…shapes and colours from what I can see….
    haha Colin girlie shopping ….how sweet..I can just see that …
    I have been doing last minute shopping with my Charlotte….
    isn’t it wonderful that we can share these moments with our dear children…it does make Christmas very special……sniff
    :=X

8. Pingback: Art | Geobloog

9. Diane December 23, 2007 at 9:13 am

Thanks KIm, it has turned out very well, I must admit…

As for goose – I have no idea what it tastes like! Number 2 son wanted to try something new – even down to finding a video on the BBC web site showing how to cook one…so goose it is…I’ll let you know how it turns out!

The painting is by a local guy who I have been collecting for about 15 years – his name is David Ralph-Simpson…his wife Debbie paints too.. and I have a beautiful painting of Irises done by her too. If you click on the link for the Pierrepoint Gallery above, you can check out more of their work. I think they are both amazingly good…

I am so thrilled that my boys are with me this Christmas. The older they get, the more I cherish time with them as I know they will have other ties (hopefully) soon enough! They have been my lifeline this last few weeks…

Now just need to get these wretched lights working on my tree…..
    :-X

10. laketrees December 23, 2007 at 11:36 pm

a video Diane …that sounds painless….better you than me though ..
    thanks for the link and best of luck with your lights…
    and with your boys…think you may gain two ‘daughters’ too….
    and grandchildren …eek !!!
    have a lovely day tomorrow …we have one more sleep here…and I think our Christmas day comes just before you :))
    :=X

11. AscenderRisesAbove December 24, 2007 at 4:45 pm

a lovely tree! perfect for displaying ornaments!

12. Flowers On A Friday December 24, 2007 at 11:28 pm

now that is a well decorated tree. good job.
    merry christmas!!!

13. Bobby Revell December 25, 2007 at 12:15 am

hehe…very cute comic! Merry Christmas Diane…I hope 2008 is wonderful for you:)

14. Plum December 25, 2007 at 5:51 am

Happy Christmas to you, Diane! By now it is Christmas at your home even though we have a few hours to go.

15. Diane December 25, 2007 at 9:34 am

Kim – Hope your Christmas day is going well and you are feeling all plumptious!

Ascender – it is a gorgeous tree – a perfect shape and I finally got the lights working – by going out and buying some more!
    Merry Christmas!!!

Flowers – Thank you, it takes ages to do it but I love it but I hate taking it down, the needles drop every where!!
    Merry Christmas!!

Bobby – Merry Christmas to you too, I hope you have a wonderful time and that 2008 is a great year for you :-)

Plum – Merry Christmas!! Hope you have a good one too!

16. dunn December 25, 2007 at 10:33 am

Nice Christmas tree! Merry Christmas!

17. Flowers On A Friday December 25, 2007 at 7:13 pm

goose! it’s the best choice…and goose fat for the potatoes? yum!
    merry christmas!

18. cotojo December 27, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Hi Diane,
    Hope that you had a great Christmas.
    You’ve been TAGGED…it’s an easy one though :)

Colin

19. jon December 28, 2007 at 2:49 pm

OooOOohhHhhh!! Now THAT’S my kind of book.. i love perfect binding but every now and then i love clasped binding too.. a good photo mounting quality book! :D

You have a real gift for creating beautiful things. :)

20. laketrees December 29, 2007 at 12:39 am

how did your goose cook up Diane…
    bestest wishes for a great and wonderful New Year !!!

21. Navin December 29, 2007 at 8:35 am

Diane, glad to see you on blogcatalog’s first page. And, Christmas tree is wonderful.. this was my first christmas in US and I enjoyed a lot. :) now, it’s time to say, HAPPY NEW YEAR, Diane

regards
    Navin

22. Diane December 29, 2007 at 8:54 am

Thank you all for writing. I hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you a very happy New Year :-)

Dunn – glad you like my tree – it does look good and it will be a shame to take it down….

Flowers – the goose was delicious and it did make gorgeous roast potatoes!

Colin – same to you and thanks for the tag. I will do it soon…

Jon – and you make beautiful photographs to go in them – a marriage made in heaven maybe :-) I’d love to see an album filled to bursting….

Kim – my son watched Jamie Oliver cook a goose on Christmas Eve and followed his instructions so it was delicious! Have a great New Year too :-)

Navin – thanks for mentioning the Blogcatalog thing. I’m glad you had a good Christmas. The US does do good Christmas. I have been in New York just before Christmas a few times and it all seems so much more Christmassy than here in the UK. Don’t know why – maybe it was the Santa on every street corner or the fact it snowed…enjoy your New Year celebration… :-)

23. GO! Smell the flowers December 29, 2007 at 10:57 am

LOL with the snowman nose pick diane, we loved it and flower smelling greetings from all the gang at GO! Smell the flowers – 2008 will be a blast and thanks for your contributions to date.

24. Creechman December 30, 2007 at 2:33 pm

“Go Smell Flowers” almost has it right. Thank you for your contributions TOWARDS a date.

Meet you in Bermuda. Dress casual.

25. mel December 31, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Ha ha! Just come over from Flowers DIane, love the snowman cartoon!

Also love your books too! They ALMOST inspire me to make writing a journal as a NY resolution – perhaps this could be a huge marketing ploy for you.

Have a great NY and look forward to more of your posts.

Thanks Diane.

Mel

26. RennyBA December 31, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Just here to say: From all of me to all of you:
    Happy New Year – or Godt Nytt År as we say it in Norway :-)

27. dubaibridgetjones January 1, 2008 at 11:34 am

Happy New Year Di! I hope it will be a fantastic one for you!

I read your reply to my last comment here. I think I get what you mean.. You have Bridget’s support.

You seem more upbeat since that time, I am happy to see that. Chin up and smile, that’s my girl! :)

28. Diane January 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Jim&Em – Thanks for the good wishes and I just heard I read I won the flowers competition too – thank you so much! A lovely start for 2008!

Creechman – you are very funny – thanks for making me laugh! Bermuda indeed!

Mel – my new years resolution is to start selling my books finally – you may be able to have your journal yet… :-)
    Thanks for your kind words – see you over at Flowers!

Renny – thanks for your New Year wishes, I hope you, my namesake, your DianeCA and the rest of your family have a wonderful 2008!
    Godt Nytt År!

29. Diane January 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Creechman – you are very funny – thanks for making me laugh! Bermuda indeed!

Thanks for your kind words – see you over at Flowers!

Godt Nytt År!

Bridget – Happy New Year to you too! It has been a glum end to the year but I am determined to cheer up and have a good 2008. Winning the Flowers competition this morning was good start, I think! Thanks for your support – you are a star!

30. Lord Likely January 1, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Dear Diane, I wish you and your family a very happy and wondrous new year!

All the best,

Lord Likely.

31. Diane January 1, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Your Lordship – you are very kind. I hope you have a very fabulous new year too.

May your blog be constantly fuelled.

Curtsies

Diane

32. jon January 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I’m almost finished setting up the new site… as soon as I do.. you can pick the one’s you like and I will print them for you and send them for you to mount in one of your books. :) It would be an honor, believe me. :)

jon

33. Diane January 4, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I would love to have your photographs in my books! You send me some images and I will send you an album for your precious one :-)

That way we will both be happy… :-)