The Italian Job

florentine.jpgflorentine_closed.jpgflorentine_open.jpg

This paper is an Italian design – a traditional pattern called a Florentine pattern (although the inner paper has a design of ‘Fleur du Lys’ which are French). Whenever I have visited Italy, (which is often, as it is my favourite country in the world) I have visited a chain of shops called ‘Il Papiro‘. They sell the most marvellous marbled paper made using traditional Tuscan methods, Murano glass pens, inks, notebooks, decorative papers, sealing wax, leather goods, stationery and cards. The shops themselves are small, dark old fashioned places but full to bursting with gorgeousness. There are branches all over Italy – in Florence, Rome, Venice, Siena, Orvieto, Pisa and I notice from their web site they now have branches in the USA and Australia!

cavour.jpg

Over the years, I have spent many happy times in these treasure troves and this is a photograph of the goodies I have bought. You will notice that they are all mostly in pristine condition. I can’t bear to use them so they sit in my workroom amongst my other treasures – I did try to use the seal and sealing wax once but it was very messy so the experiment was not repeated.

ilpapiro.jpg

And to finish, I have modestly left this to last ;-) I was contacted by Justin at Pushapixel (a lovely blog which highlights artists’ web sites from around the world) and he told me that he has featured me! He has written a very kind review so I suggest you all dash over there immediately to check his blog out (well, when you have finished here!)

transparent_pp.jpg

8 responses to “The Italian Job

1. Creechman December 15, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Where do you store it all? In seclusion, naturally.

2. strugglingwriter December 15, 2007 at 6:36 pm

I REALLY like this book. I also like the picture of the goodies you got there.

3. Diane December 15, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Mark – Luckily, I have a large workroom but it is full to bursting with goodies like these. I have more pens, pencils, notebooks and paper than you can shake a stick at. If I’m ever in dire straits I can always open a stationery store.

Paul – They are delicious goodies. The ink in the tiny bottles with the silver stoppers was bought when I was doing a lot of calligraphy but I never used it – I couldn’t bear to open the bottles… sad but true :)

4. Justin(pusha) December 15, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for mentioning my site! I look forward to seeing more of your creations:)

5. laketrees December 16, 2007 at 11:20 am

oh I adore this one Diane !!!
    I had a little notebook once with a similiar cover….
    you certainly have some nice little Italian treasures there :)
    and now I’ll dash off to read your interview….I love his logo !!!

6. Diane December 16, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Justin – my pleasure and thanks for the review it is much appreciated!

Kim – it’s a lovely paper – a very traditional print, I think.
    Thank you for your lovely comments over at Pushapixel too. You are a sweetie!

7. Jeannette December 16, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Congrats! You deserve it! Your books are beautiful!

8. Diane December 17, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Thank you, Jeanette, very kind of you to say so!