Back to reality

Just a very quick post to say I am back from sunny Nice and don’t I just know it. The weather here is horrendous and I received a phone call from the Environment Agency to say there is a flood warning – and my house is ‘likely to flood’. The river is certainly the highest I have seen it and is spilling into my garden this time. I have been watching it anxiously all afternoon but it has gone dark now so I can’t see properly if it is still rising….

It has finally stopped raining but as more is forecast for tonight, along with severe gale force winds tomorrow, I am very worried. I am supposed to be going to a party tonight but am very loathe to leave my house unattended. Of course, both my boys are away so I am torn quite what to do. If the water starts to get too close to the house, I suppose I should start to carry precious stuff upstairs. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!

Remind me why I bought this house? Oh yes, the pretty stream running through the garden…..
Update: It’s now the next morning, I did go to the party and had a great time and it finally stopped raining so the river level dropped. Phew! Panic over!

I am back to making books, will post a new one later if I get it finished in time.

8 responses to “Back to reality

1. GO! Smell the flowers December 9, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Hi from Dubai Di and welcome back from Nice! We’re crossing our fingers you don’t flood, what’ll it be like it it snows & then melts this xmas – time for sandbags?

Sandbags, hmm – ever used Hessian for covers a book, seriously, just a thought? Like the flood link?

2. Pingback: How to Sabotage Yourself | My GPS Camera Phone

3. Diane December 10, 2007 at 10:45 am

Hi Jim&Em

Thanks for the good wishes! I am so behind with things, I am frantically trying to catch up. I haven’t even thought about Christmas shopping and stuff yet….

Hessian is a great idea. A sackcloth and ashes book to write confessions and morbid thoughts in…. :-)

4. GO! Smell the flowers December 10, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Cool…

GO! For it…could be a gap in the market you could ‘ bag’!!

5. Pingback: Snow joke, you know… « Much of a muchness

6. Jon December 20, 2007 at 3:04 pm

Glad everything worked out well and I hope you can have warm fuzzies about the stream again very shortly. :)

7. Dylan January 6, 2008 at 2:54 am

So glad that the water level has gone down! Now all those precious things can stay downstairs after all!

8. Diane January 6, 2008 at 11:58 am

Dylan – I have decided to make a workroom upstairs anyway – I am fed up of having a messy unusable kitchen because my bookbinding stuff is everywhere! I have a three story house, so I am hoping it will be safe up on the top floor!